A container used to move goods relying on its innate strength to withstand shipment, storage, and handling malfunctions is called a Shipping Container. The uniqueness of sea container storage rests on the fact that these containers are well designed to move a load from one mode of transport to another, without physically unloading or reloading. Hence these are also recognized under the name of Intermodal Freight Containers, synonymous with large reusable steel boxes.
Safety concerns paramount
- Logistic chains, whether operating through owner drivers with one vehicle or providing shipment services using a large fleet operator are extensive users of containers as part of their daily ordained business.
- The fleet of shipping container is prone to frequent accidents that certainly impair the journey. With a propensity to face an accident during any stage of transportation, remedial measures should be taken to avoid instances of human error and malfunctioning of technical and mechanical devices. Accidents range from being serious to causing irreparable damage to human life and goods, when they crash land from great altitudes.
Ports hosting these freight containers frequently face these characteristic dangers
- Wear and tear hampering the durability of containers pose serious threats in the form of structural failures
- Structural failures are also the result of damaging practices of overloading, carrying un declared weight with an uneven spread of heavy load
- Containers susceptible to falls from great heights during their shipment operations
- Injuries caused to humans and load on account of crush injuries, which are majorly caused during container maneuvering and movements on account of actual travel
- Constant exposure to disinfectant fumes which are commonplace during transit or coming in contact with hazardous chemicals which are emitted from the cargo generated during the course of shipment
Prevention is better than cure
- Giving a serious thought to task planning coupled with training workers, to ensure timely maintenance of containers is a step towards preventing these pitfalls.
- Relevant and possible risk analysis should proceed before any work task is carried out. Identifying the associated risks will be a proactive strategy to operate through control measures to ward off the occurrence of any unforeseen calamity.
Ideally, if you or your business is looking to move heavy load from one corner to the other via sea, then opting for shipping storage containers is a good idea. Grab all the knowhow before you get started.